domenica 19 gennaio 2014

WSUS computer not reporting status : Error 0x800b0001

WARNING: Digital Signatures on file C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Default\wuident.cab are not trusted: Error 0x800b0001

This is the error I had in my c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log while I was trying to get my XP computer updated by the WSUS Server I just installed.

After many time spent trying to fix the error in many way I discovered the problem was simply my WSUS server an old version while the XP machine was serching for a most recent WSUS.

So the solution was simply:

1. install WSUS 3.0 SP2 Over the previous WSUS 3.0 installation
2. install the WSUS patch: KB2720211
2. reboot the server

once the server was up and running:

3. on the client run this script (found in internet) :

net stop wuauserv /y
net stop bits /y
net stop cryptsvc /y

RMDIR /S /Q %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution_Old
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution_Old

regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuapi.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wucltui.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\msxml3.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuaueng1.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\wuweb.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system32\atl.dll /s

net start wuauserv /y
net start bits /y
net start cryptsvc /y

wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization
wuauclt.exe /detectnow
wuauclt.exe /reportnow


And after few minutes I seen my client asking me to install new updates, and on the WSUS server the pc appeared with its status. Problem solved :)




6 commenti:

  1. Thank you Digger! Your solution helped me. However, I didn't need to perform any operations on client computers.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Yes thank you, about 12 clients win7 not reporting here
    KB2720211 solved everything, and also no need for the script

    RispondiElimina
  3. Battling with 2012 R2 for two days - your commands in point 3 above have me up and running! KB2720211 was installed long ago but 2012 just could not talk to WSUS.

    RispondiElimina